Salem, Oregon Professional Bookkeeping & Accounting Services


Office (503) 391-8802

William Beal
Enrolled Agent &Licensed Tax Consultant
EA 56082 -  LTC 4600C - B13474  -  DC4600C

Services Offered  | Tax FAQ's  |  Office Hours & Location  |  Home

Q. As a senior citizen do I need to file a 2013 tax return?

A. Seniors should not automatically assume that they do not need to file a tax return. While Social Security benefits are generally nontaxable and not included in your gross income, any other income that is not tax-exempt needs to be taken into account.

If you are still unsure, please visit the IRS website or make an appointment for me to have you answer some questions to find out if you need to file a federal income tax return.

Q.  How does e-filing work?

A. E-filing refers to filing your taxes online, rather than through the mail.  After I have gathered all of your information, inputted the data into the required forms, reviewed everything for accuracy, and received your approval to proceed I will electronically file your Federal, State and Local tax returns for you. If additional tax is due, I'll tell you the amount and give you clear instructions for sending it to the appropriate agencies.

Q. How long do I need to keep all of my tax-related records?

A. Individuals should retain personal tax records for at least 3 years after the filing date. For business owners, the recommendation is a minimum of 7 years. It is possible that states may have different requirements and some may exceed these rules.


Q. What is the fastest way to receive my tax refund?

A.  The quickest way to receive your refund is to have the IRS deposit the money directly into your account. IRS will need to have your account's 9-digit routing number to make the deposit (located on the bottom of your paper check next to your account number).


Q. Is it possible for me as a business-owner to take business deductions for small cash donations my business makes to qualified local charities?

A. If you have a receipt for each you can itemize your deductions to include these gifts with your other charitable contributions on Schedule A, but cannot take them as a deduction on your Schedule C business form.